Maths in Reception
In Reception the children will be learning to:
- Say and use the number names in order in familiar contexts.
- Count reliably up to 10 everyday objects.
- Count aloud in ones, twos, fives and tens.
- Recognise numerals 1 to 9.
- Find one more or one less than a number from 1 to 10.
- Use language such as 'more or less', 'greater or smaller', 'heavier or lighter', to compare two numbers or quantities.
- In practical activities and discussion, begin to use the vocabulary involved in adding and subtracting.
- Begin to relate addition to combining two groups of objects, and subtraction to "taking away".
- Talk about, recognise and recreate simple patterns.
- Use language such as 'circle' or 'bigger' to describe the shape and size of solids and flat shapes.
- Use everyday words to describe position.
- Use developing mathematical ideas and methods to solve practical problems.